Sunday, 5 September 2010
Brown sugar pastry - Blackberry Meringue
I found this recipe whilst searching through magazines for ideas of what to cook with the children at school.
Brown Sugar Pastry - Blackberry Meringue
350g plain flour
75g brown sugar
2 egg yolks
drops of vanilla essence
5-6 tablespoons water
500g blackberries - hulled and washed
2 egg whites
50g caster sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to Gas 6/200C/400F
2. Place the flour, butter and brown sugar into food processor
3. Whizz to fine crumbs and then add the egg yolks, vanilla ess. and water until
4. Tip dough onto table and divide into two portions - freeze one portion of pastry
for another day as you will just love this pastry
5. Roll out the pastry and line a baking dish, prick the base with a fork and bake
blind for 20-25 minutes - remove from oven
6. Whilst the patry is baking make the filling.
7. Combine the blackerries and sugar into another dish and place in oven below
the pastry - the blackberries will roast until soft for approx 20 mins
Remove from oven and cool
8. Place blackberries onto pastry base - remove any excess liquid or pastry becomes
9. Using an electric mixer whisk the egg white together until thick and stands up
in soft peaks.
10. Add the sugar gradually until you have a thick, glossy meringue mixture
11. Spread over the blackberries and bake for 5-6 mins on Gas 6/200C/400F until
meringue is golden brown.
Serve with ice-cream. What could be nicer than this for a Sunday pudding?