This is a great recipe, (Barefoot Contessa) which I will be using at school next week. It is our Open Afternoon and what better way to attract people in with the smell of home baking and oranges.
Orange and Cranberry Scones
200g SR flour
1 tsp. baking powder
50g caster sugar
1 orange - zest
50g dried cranberries
2 tabsp. natural yoghurt
100g icing sugar
orange juice to mix
pre-heat overn to Gas 6/200C/400F
lightly flour a baking tray
1. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl
2. Cut and rub the butter into the flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs
3. Add the sugar and zest of an orange
4. Add the cranberries and mix well
5. Beat the egg and yoghurt together - then add enough of the liquid to make a soft
sticly dough - not too wet.
6. Lightly knead on a floured table
7. Cut the scones into rounds with a cutter
8. Place on a baking tray and bake for 12 - 15 mins until well risen and brown.
9. Cool on a wire rack.
10. To make the glace icing mix the icing sugar and orange juice to make a stiff
11. Drizzlew the orange icing over the scones when cool.
They taste just heaven.
I use yoghurt instead of heavy cream as suggested by Barefoot Contessa and I have halved her original recipe. This recipe makes about 8 - just enough for afternoon tea. Will need to make some more as I forgot to take a photograph the first time around.