Saturday, 24 July 2010
Free raspberries. What could be better than out for a walk and picking raspberries from the hedgerow as you go. These raspberries have the best smell. I am sure I ate quite a few on the way home, but enough to make 1 jar of jam
1 lb raspberries
1 lb jam sugar
1 warm jar/lid
1. Wash the jar in hot soapy water, rinse and put into an oven on Gas 2/150C to dry
2. Place the raspberries and sugar into a lage pan and leave for about 30 mins.
3. Once the juices start to run out you can make your jam
4. Bring to boiling point and boil for 5-8 mins stirring all the time. Try not to
break up the rasps too much.
5. Place a little of the jam on a saucer to test if it will set.
6. Remove the jar from the oven and pour in the hot jam.
7. Seal with the lid or wax top and cover.
That first jar of raspberry jam. The smell is heavenly. What will I use it for?
Not sure yet - just want to look at it and smell the rasps.
I may go for another walk to see what else I can find for free. Blackberries will soon be ready for harvesting.