Friday, 31 December 2010
A Spot of Cooking
The last day of the year and a spot of cooking is called for.
Macaroni Cheese with Leeks and Bacon
25g plain flour
150g Red Leicester cheese
4 rashes bacon
50g garden peas
1 slice wholemeal bread
1. Pre-heat the oven to Gas 4/180C.
2. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the macaroni for 10 mins.
3. Grill the bacon and chop into small pieces, leave on one-side.
4. Wash and slice the leek.
5. Melt the butter in a saucepan and gently sauté the leeks for 3-4 mins.
6. Add the plain flour and cook for a few seconds.
7. Add the milk and stir until the sauce begins to thicken.
8. Add the 100g of grated cheese, black pepper and mustard.
9. Add the peas to the macaroni and continue to cook for another 5 mins.
10. Drain the macaroni and peas.
11. Add the cheese sauce to the macaroni and mix well.
12. Make breadcrumbs using the slice of wholemeal bread, add the
remaining grated cheese and seasoning.
13.Pour the macaroni cheese into a large oven proof dish and sprinkle on
14. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden and crunchy on top.
Whilst the macaroni was baking I decided to make some Digestive Biscuits to have with coffee.
Home-made Digestive Biscuits
250g spelt wholemeal flour
75g soft brown sugar
2tsp. baking powder
1. Pre-heat oven to Gas 4/180C
2. Place flour, oatmeal, butter, baking powder and sugar into food processor.
3. Pulse until all ingredients combine into a sticky dough - add a drop of milk
if too dry.
4. Gather mixture into a ball and gently knead until smooth. Wrap in cling
film and leave in fridge for 15-20 mins.
5. Roll out on floured surface – cut out shapes and place on a baking tray.
6. Bake for 10-15 mins until golden brown – DO NOT over bake.
7. Leave to cool on a wire rack and then store in an airtight box.
These are really yummy with a cup of coffee.