Looking through an old recipe book I found this comforting recipe.
Grandm's Apple Cake
8oz SR flour
4oz soft brown sugar
2 eating apples - peeled, sliced and diced
2 eggs - beaten
2 tabsp. caster sugar
large pinch mixed spice
1. Pre-heat oven to Gas 6/200C
2. Sift the flour and rub butter in, until like fine crumbs
3. Stir in the soft brown sugar, diced apples.
4. Add the beaten egg an mix well
5. Spread mixture into a greased tray
6. Mix together the sugar and mixed spice
7. Sprinkle over the cake
8. Bake 25-30 mins until risen and golden in colour
This is so nice cut into squares with a cup of tea or coffee or even better with a dollop if ice-cream.
You can use cooking apples and add more spice if you wish.