Love Chinese food? but hate that false taste with high fat, high sugar and salt, then make your own in just 15 minutes. I love this easy recipe and you could make the sauce to go with any meat or fish you like. I use Chicken as it is low in fat.
Sweet and Sour Chicken - (Fake-away)
1 tabsp. oil (I use olive oil, but you can use veg oil)
1 onion - peeled and diced
1 green pepper - de-seeded and sliced
1 yellow peper - de-seeded and sliced
thumb piece of fresh ginger - peeled and grated
1 can pineapple pieces
1 can water chestnuts - cut in half
2 chicken breasts - cut into chunks (I use scissors, it's easier)
100ml pineapple juice - drained from can
2 tabsp. tomato sauce
2 tabsp. brown sugar
2 tabsp. white wine vinegar
2 tabsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. cornflour
Rice - I use sticky Jasmine or Egg Fried Rice (bought from supermarket)
1. Drain the juice from the pineapple into a bowl, add the water, tomato sauce, white wine vinegar, soy sauce and brown sugar.
2. Mix a drop of water and the cornflour together to make a paste, add to the bowl and mix well.
3. Heat the oil in a large frypan and fry the onion and peppers for 3 - 4 mins
4. Add the chicken and continue stirring until changes colour and starts to brown - don't over cook
5. Add the grated ginger, water chestnuts and pineapple - stir well
6. Add the sauce mixture and continu to stir until it starts to boil.
turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 8-10 mins until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has started to thicken.
7. Microwave the rice according to the instructions - I use 1 tub or 2 if we are really hungry.
Place the rice on a plate and heap the Sweet and Sour over it.
This is such a great recipe and I know what all the ingredients are. You can of course make your own rice, but I buy it on a Friday night ready for our Fake - Away.