Of all the Macaroni Cheese recipes I have tried, this has to be the best ever.
3oz pancetta, diced
3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
10fl.oz double cream
7oz dolcelatte or gorgonzola cheese
2 slices bread, made into crumbs with black pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to Gas 4/200C/400F
2. Cook the macaronin in boiling salted water for 10 mins, drain
3. Fry the pancetta and spring onions for few mins, until crisp
4, Make the sauce by placing butter, flour and milk into a small pan
5. Stir all the time over a low heat using a balloon whisk until thick
6. Stir in the cream, mustard and seasoning.
7. Add the drained macaroni, cheeses and mix well
8. Pour into a greased ovenproof dish.
9. Spsrinkle over the breadcrumbs and bake for 20 mins until golden.
I kept some of the cheese back and sprinkled it over the top with the breadcrumbs.
I served it with crusty bread and a glass of beer. What a taste on a cold, wet, windy night.