Thursday 21 July 2011

Pesto Scones

I made lots of these for our end of term bash. I made them tiny so it was just a mouthful, people came back for lots of mouthfuls.

Pesto Scones with Cream Cheese Topping
Ingredients

300g SR flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
75g margarine
pinch salt
pinch mustard
black pepper
100g grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons pesto ( I used green pesto)
Yoghurt and milk mixed - you need enough to bind the mixture together

Method
1. Pre-heat oven to Gas 7/220C
2. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the seasoning, mustard.
3. Rub the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine crumbs.
4. Add the grated cheese and pesto. Rub in carefully until well mixed.
5. Add enough yoghurt and milk to bind the mixture together - not too wet.
6. Turn out onto a sprinkling of flour.
7. Fold mixture in half, turn and repeat this process several times trapping air
into the mixture.
8. Use a small cutter , cut out a many shapes as you can until all dough has been
used.
9. Brush the tops with milk.
10 Bake 10-12 mins until golden and firm to touch
11. Cool on a wire rack.
12. Put cream cheese into a piping bag and once the scones are cool, cut them
in half and pipe cream cheese on the top.
13 Top each scone with a slice of tomato and basil leaf.


If you can't be bothered to pipe the cream, just cut the scones in half and sandwich the cream cheese inbetween.
They are just so yummy. Of course you can make them any size you want.

3 comments:

annie hoff said...

Brilliant! Thank you very much, I shall have a go. Pesto scones sound delicious _ I hope I do justice to the recipe! I shall let you know how I get on...

Jojo said...

Thank you for stopping by! Oh these do sound yummy! Hope you are enjoying your summer.

Pondside said...

I love anything savory, so this would be just the thing for me. I'd probably split them and spread the cheese in the middle - mmmmmm