I made lots of these for our end of term bash. I made them tiny so it was just a mouthful, people came back for lots of mouthfuls.
Pesto Scones with Cream Cheese Topping
300g SR flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
100g grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons pesto ( I used green pesto)
Yoghurt and milk mixed - you need enough to bind the mixture together
1. Pre-heat oven to Gas 7/220C
2. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the seasoning, mustard.
3. Rub the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine crumbs.
4. Add the grated cheese and pesto. Rub in carefully until well mixed.
5. Add enough yoghurt and milk to bind the mixture together - not too wet.
6. Turn out onto a sprinkling of flour.
7. Fold mixture in half, turn and repeat this process several times trapping air
into the mixture.
8. Use a small cutter , cut out a many shapes as you can until all dough has been
9. Brush the tops with milk.
10 Bake 10-12 mins until golden and firm to touch
11. Cool on a wire rack.
12. Put cream cheese into a piping bag and once the scones are cool, cut them
in half and pipe cream cheese on the top.
13 Top each scone with a slice of tomato and basil leaf.
If you can't be bothered to pipe the cream, just cut the scones in half and sandwich the cream cheese inbetween.
They are just so yummy. Of course you can make them any size you want.