Sunday 6 September 2009

Red Tomato Chutney











Yesterday I went into the garden to collect yet more green beans, tomatoes, courgettes, and chillies.
I decided to make some more chutney as I just love this with cold meat and cheeses with plenty of crusty bread.

Red Tomato Chutney
A fruity chutney to complement cold roast meats, mature cheddar cheese or grilled sausages.
Ingredients
900g (2lbs) Tomatoes skinned and chopped
450g (1lb) Cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
450g (1lb) Onions peeled and chopped
225g (8oz) Sultanas
225g (8oz) Sugar
5ml (1 teasp) Mustard powder
10ml (2 teasp) Ground coriander
5ml (1 teasp) Ground ginger
Salt and pepper
280ml (1/2 pt) Vinegar
Small tin tomato puree

Method
1. Mix the tomatoes, apples, onions and sultanas in a large pan.
2. Stir in all the other ingredients, add a good sprinkling of salt and pepper.
3. Bring slowly to the boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat, simmer gently
until thick.
4. Stir during cooking, then pot and cover in the usual way.

Hot Tomato Chutney
Use 2 red chillies chopped up and 5ml (1 teasp) cayenne pepper to make a hot version of the above chutney.



I also roasted some of the tomatoes with garlic, onions, chillies and basil in olive oil. I then whizzed them to make a paste/sauce and used this to make a lasagna. I just browned an onion and the minced beef, then added some chopped mushrooms and a green pepper. I then added my tomato paste/sauce. Make 1/2 pint of white sauce - remember the seasoning. Then a drop of sauce in the base of a dish, pre-cooked lasagna strips, minced beef sauce, more lasagna strips, topped with sauce. Sprinkle over some grated Red Leicester Cheese and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until brown.
I suppose I could serve this with green beans and buttered courgettes.

I still had some windfall apples so just washed and chopped them leaving on the peel and cores. Cover with some cider and simmer until very soft. Then sieve them to extract the apple puree, add some sugar and mixed spice. I really love the smell of apples - autumn is coming.

No comments: