Tuesday, 22 December 2009
Gingerbread Hearts - Just for Christmas
Another little baking session so I can take extra gifts with me on my Christmas travels to see friends.
100g dark muscovado sugar
3tabsp golden syrup
350g plain flour
1ts bicarbonate of soda
2tsp ground ginger
pinch cayenne pepper
2 balls stem ginger from a jar - chopped
100g icing sugar
glace cherries - sliced
1. Pre-heat oven to Gas 6/200C
2. Place margarine, sugar and syrup in a saucepan and melt over a low heat
3. Place flour, bicarb, spices into a large mixing bowl.
4. Pour melted mixture into flour and add chopped ginger
5. Mix well to a stiff dough - leave to cool before handling
6. Roll out the mixture on a floured table
7. Use a heart shape to cut out as many as you can
8. Place on a greased baking tray - place small hole at the top of each one
9. Bake for 10-12 mins
10. Cool on a wire rack
11. Make glace icing by adding a drop of water to the icing sugar until you have a
failry stiff paste - not too runny
12 Thread ribbons through the hoel before decorating
13 Spread the icing over the biscuit and decorate with slices of cherries.
14. Leave to harden before either hanging on the tree or placing into decorated bags
to give as gifts.