Wednesday, 11 August 2010
Dorset Apple Cake
I was given a huge bucket of apples yesterday - whatever could I make? I made some of my Apple Butter, which I just love to eat on toast and then I found this recipe amongst my recipe collection.
Dorset Apple Cake.
450g cooking apples
juice of 1 lemon
225g butter - softened
280g caster sugar
2tsp. vanilla extract
350g SR flour
2tsp. baking powder
demerara sugar - to sprinkle on top
1. Pre-heat oven to Gas 4/180C
2. Grease and line a rectangular tray - approx 27cm x 20cm
3. Peel and slice the apples thinly into a small bowl and cover with the lemon
juice - leave on one side
4. Place butter, caster sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder into a large
5. Arrange half the mixture into the tray. Cover with the apples (drain off any
6. At this stage I added some fresh blackberries - just picked - but this is
7. Cover the fruit with the rest of the cake mixture. Sprinkle on the demerara
8. Bake for 40-45 mins until cake mixture springs back when touched.
I served it cut into slices with some Greek Yoghurt, but I am sure it would be good with any type of cream or even ice-cream.
Try it out and let me know how you get on.