Monday, 18 October 2010
A two weeek break from school - great. The weather has that Autumn feel about it and yesterday it was blue skies and sun - even though there was a nip in the air. I am at the start of a two week break and eager to make the most of every day. Yesterday I finished organising the garden for winter, swept up some leaves - I am sure there will be many more of them over the next few weeks - and had a walk (photographs above). I also picked all the tomatoes left in the greenhouse and made some tomato sauce ready to use with pasta and pizza. I gathered all the apples from our one lone apple tree, stored some of them and then peeled and chopped all the others to use in pies and crumbles over the winter months. I mixed some of the apples with cinnamon and some with mixed spice. the kitchen smelt just like Christmas - Oh! no not the word Christmas, let's just enjoy this two week break first.
5lb freshly picked tomatoes - cut in half
1 large onion - finely chopped
1 whole garlic bulb - peeled and chopped
1. Place all chopped ingredients into a large pan.
2. Add a glug or two of olice oil.
3. Simmer on a low heat until all tomatoes are soft
4. Add some black pepper and mixed herbs for taste
5. Continue to simmer until sauce becomes thick.
6. Whizz in the blender until smooth
7. Bag and freeze for later use