Bakewell Cakes and a variation of the famous Bakewell Tarts made in the town of Bakewewll, Derbyshire. I made them this afternoon to have with our cup of tea whilst sitting in the garden. Thy turned out different to what I thought as I had no glace cherries in the cupboard and used Orange Slices for the top instead. However they tasted just as good.
150g caster sugar
150g SR flour
1 tsp baking powder
drop of almond essence
1 tablespoon jam
Glace icing - to decorate
1. Preheat oven to Gas 5 /190C
2. Place margarine, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs and almond ess. into a large
3. Using an electric mixer whisk all the ingredients together until light and
4. Place 12 paper cases into baking tin
5. Divide the mixture bewteen the paper cases. Bake for 15 - 20 mins until well
risen and golden, springing back when touched.
6. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Use an apple corer to take the centre out of the middle of the cake once cold
8. Place jam into the hole and replace the cut out sponge
9. Make glace icing with icing sugar and a drop of water until quite thick
10 Decorate the top of each cake with the glace icing allowing it to run down the
sides. Top with a glace cherry (or whatever you have in the cupboard)
Serve with a nice cup of tea.