Sunday, 21 August 2011
Roasted sweet beet relish
I decided to use some of the ingredients from the garden. I made Pickled Green Beans - something new for me, my old favourite Blackberry Jam one of
Hugh Fearnley -Whittingstall recipes. It smells great, looks even better, but so messy to make that I think I will stick to my original recipe of Beetroot Chutney.
Roasted Sweet Beet Relish
1kg small beetroot, trimmed
glug Olive Oil
250g granualted usgar
150ml red wine vinegar
2 tabsp. balsamic vinegar
1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
50g finely grated fresh horseradish
Roasted Tomato Puree
2tsp sea salt
4 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
50ml olive oil
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4
1. Start by making the Tomato Puree: cut the tomatoes in half and place them skin
side down on a baking tray. Sprinkle with salt, garlic and olive oil.
2. Roast them for approx 1 hour.
3. Remove the skins and rub through a sieve to remove the seeds
4. You should end up with approx 300ml tomato puree
5. Put the beetroot into a baking dish and trickle with the olive oil.
6. Roast for 1 hour 30 mins until the skins go black - allow to cool
7. Remove the skins and finely chop the beetroots.
8. Place the sugar, vinegar, onion, horseradish into a large pan and bring to the
boil - cook for 5 mins
9. Add the tomato puree, then beetroot
10 Cook for approx 10 mins until thickened.
11 Transfer to sterilised jars, seal and label.
Use within 1 year and keep in fridge once opened.