Tuesday 30 August 2011

Roasted Tomato Passata

I thought I would just pick a few tomatoes and I ended up with a whole boxful. Tomato Passata is an essential store cupboard ingredients which I use for pasta sauces and curries. It more or less makes itself.

Roasted Tomato Passata
Ingredients
2kg ripe tomatoes
1 large red onion - peeled and thinly sliced
4-5 cloves garlic - peeled and thinlty sliced
A few rosemary springs
1 tsp. salt
large pinch black pepper
1 tsp sugar
30ml olive oil

Method
Pre-heat the oven to Gas 4/ 180C
1. Cut the tomatoes in half and place cut side down onto a tray.
2. Scatter the onions and garlic over the tomatoes
3. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper and sugar
4. Place the rosemary amongst the tomatoes
5. Pour over the olive oil
6. Roast for approx 1 hour until well squidgy and softened
7. Remove from the oven and press through a sieve to extract all puree
8.. Heat the jars to be used in the oven
9. Place the puree into a saucepan and bring to the boil
10 Pour into the jars and seal.
11. Stand the jars in a large saucepan with a folder teatowel on the bottom
12. Cover with warm water and bring to simmering point over a 25 minute period
13. Simmer for 10 mins
14. Remove the jars and leave to cool. Tighten the tops and leave until cold

Use with 12 months, but if you are like me you want to use it straight away.
I may use it tomorrow to make a pasta dish with courgettes.
Perhaps I should wait until next month - it will taste even better.



Yesterday I picked apples. I made Apple Butter, Apple Sauce and Stewed Apples for the freezer and I still have a whole bag left. Looks like we will be eating apples over the next few days and weeks.

2 comments:

Savannah Granny said...

Everytime I come to visit I get hungry. I never thought about roasting the tomatoes prior to canning.
Thank you for sharing your work.
Thanks for visiting my bedroom and your kind comments.
Ginger

Pondside said...

So that's what you did with one of your last days before school starts! It sounds delicious.