Saturday 8 August 2009

Beetroot Chutney



I was visiting a friend over the weekend and he said 'take some beetroot out of the garden, I have so much, I don't know what to do with it'. So I brought home a basketful of beetroot. I pickled some and the rest I made into Beetroot Chutney.
Making chutney creates a special smell in the kitchen that says, Autumn is coming.
I start by cutting the tops from the beetroot, but leave on some of the stalk and the root or they bleed too much and you loose the colour. I wash the beets, put into a pan and cover with water. Boil for about 10 - 15 minutes until soft and then leave to go cold. The peel just comes away in your hand.

Beetroot Chutney
3lb cooked beetroot
1 large cooking apple
1 large onion
12oz sugar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 pint vinegar
Method
1. Peel, core and slice the apple
2. Peel, slice and dice the onion
3. Peel and chop the beets into small cubes
4. Place alll the ingredients into a large pan (I use my preseving pan)
5. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
6. Boil the chutney until all the vegetables are soft - approx 20 -25 mins
Keep stirring from time to time as it may stick especially towards the end.
7. The mixture will be thick and most of the vinegar absorbed.
8. Pour into clean jars, seal and label.
9. If you can, leave to mature for about a month.

Beetroot Chutney is great served with cold meat, cheeses and salads. Also really nice in a sandwich.

No comments: