Saturday 8 August 2009

Composting

There has been much talk over recent years about composting and the difference it makes to your garden. I keep a small bin beside my kitchen sink into which I put fruit and vegetable peelings and tea bags. It's amazing how much I can collect over a few days. This in turn gets put into my garden compost bin along with shredded paper from my office shredder and pieces of cardboard. Over time the worms work away and everything is rotted down - I turn it from time to time when I remember and every year I have the mosts wonderful compost which I use for my tubs. OK it does not make bags of compost and I still have to buy some compost to use in my garden, but it is really satisfying knowing that I have made something so rich which would have normally just have gone into the bin.

No comments: