Saturday, 22 August 2009
The Garden Party
The day dawned bright and I was up early to make Cherry Mu-Cakes, Mincemeat, and Cherry and Ginger Scones to take to the 'Garden Party. The 'Garden Party' was hosted by a lady in the next village and was in aid of church funds. Her garden was so beautiful and filled with the most amazing plants and flowers. My photographs don't really do it justice, but I hope you enjoy the atmosphere. The wasps were a bit fierce around the cake stall, but everyone was a winner on the 'tombola'.
300g plain flour
20g baking powder
75g caster sugar
12 chopped glace cherries
2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tablespoons mincemeat
75g grated Cheddar Cheese (leave out sugar)
pinch black pepper
Pre-heat the oven to Gas6/200C
1. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl
2. Cut and rub the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
3. Add the sugar
4. Add the ingredients of your choice - mix well
5. Add enough milk to make a soft/firm dough and gather together with hands
6. Place dough on table.
7. Fold dough in half, then again, then again, then again
8. Press the dough out lightly with hands to 2cm high
9. Cut out using a cutter or make into squares or triangels - whatever
10 Bake 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack
The secret is not to over handle the mixture and it must not be too wet.
I made 100 plain scones for our school garden party and filled them with strawberries and cream - must remember to publish the photographs of the school garden party as it was on 4th July and it was a great celebration.