This is not actually a butter, but a soft, slow-cooked spiced apple spread, delicious on hot buttered toast. It is very popular in North America, where there are small towns that organise whole festivals around it.
1.25kg apples – Bramleys
100g light brown soft sugar
175g granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch ground allspice
1. Peel, core and quarter the apples. Put into large pan with the water.
2. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer stirring
occasionally, until the apples are very soft. Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 3
3. Transfer the mixture to a blender and process until smooth.
4. Pour the puree into a roasting tin and stir in the sugars. Mix in the
cinnamon, cloves and allspice.
5. Bake uncovered, stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes thick enough
to mound when spooned onto a plate – approx 20 mins.
6. Allow the mixture to cool slightly before carefully spooning it into hot
sterilised jars. Seal the jars and allow to cool before labelling and
It really is wonderful.