What could be nicer than a bowl of soup and warm Soda bread.
1 rasher bacon - cut into small pieces
1 Red onion - diced
1 stalk celery - diced
1 potato - peeled - diced
500ml chicken stock
small can sweetcorn
1 tsp. cornflour
1. Place the margarine, bacon, onion, celery and potato into a large saucepan.
2. Saute until the onion starts to soften.
3. Add the chicken stock and sweetcorn.
4. Leave to boil for 10-15 mins until the potato is soft.
5. Blend the cornflour and milk together in a jug.
6. Add to the soup and stir until thickens.
7. Puree the soup until well blended.
8. Season with black pepper to taste.
250g plain flour
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp soft brown sugar
250ml natural yoghurt
Preheat the oven to Gas8/240C
1. Sieve the salt, flour and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the sugar - mix in.
3. Add the yoghurt and stir together wiht a wooden spoon until a soft dough is
4. Knead on a floured table until smooth.
5. Make a ball shape and place on a well greased baking tray.
6. Make 4 deep cuts across the top of the dough to allow the bread to rise.
7. Bake for 10 minutes on the high temperature and then reduce to Gas 6/200C and
bake for a further 12-15 mins.
8. If the base sounds hollow when tapped the bread is cooked - leave to cool on a
Serve the soup and warm bread together to make a tasty meal. Follow with a selection of fresh fruit.